Point Arena Light Station Whale Watch Room Gallery Exhibits
Request for Artist Proposals
The Point Arena Light Station’s 1896 Fog Signal Building houses the Light Station Store, Indoor Museum and Whale Watch Room (WWR). The WWR has been configured as a gallery exhibit space that is intended to host art installations that will periodically change throughout the year. Given the amazing artistic talent that resides in this area Point Arena Lighthouse Keepers, Inc. (PALKI) would love to have local artists design art installations for the WWR. These installations/exhibits do not need to be Lighthouse themed or related, it is up to the artist to decide on the theme or inspiration that they wish to convey.
- Installations can be in any medium the artist wishes to use
- WWR is a 12’ by 12’ space. Three of the four walls have windows on them, the fourth has a doorway. There is 43” high beaded board wainscoting on all walls. Available wall space for hanging above the wainscoting is as follows:
- South wall 75” H x 43” W on the left of the window, 75” H x 40” W on the right of the window
- West wall no hanging area
- North wall 75” H x 16” W on the left of the window, 75” H x 40” W on the right of the window
- East wall 82” H x 94” W on the left of the doorway
- West and North walls have angled display panels with glass covers that extend 15” from the walls and are the height of the wainscoting at their rear edges. They are intended for display of flat materials, they currently contain pictures of all the 150th Anniversary Logo submissions. These can be used as for the artist’s exhibit if requested. See below for pictures of the WWR
- Exhibit will be on display a minimum of 3 months
- Artist is responsible for installation and take down of the exhibit, including all hanging and/or easels, display stands, tables, etc.
- Artist will participate in exhibit opening reception, which will be held from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the first Saturday of the exhibit display period. Artist will arrange for hors d’oeuvres and light snacks, PALKI will provide liquid refreshments
- PALKI will retain 30% commission on all sales of exhibit art (and multiples) made during the course of the exhibit
- Artist may add new works during the exhibit to replace sold items
How to Propose an Exhibit
Fill out a Point Arena Light Station Whale Watch Room Gallery Exhibit Proposal form and submit as noted on the form. Click on the image below for the Proposal Form PDF.