The Point Arena Light Station #496 was officially established on September 30, 1869. Construction of the first Tower was completed in April 1870 and the light was first lit May 1, 1870. This date will mark 150 years of the Lighthouse lighting the way on the Mendocino coast. This important sesquicentennial deserves a unique and special logo that can be used for advertising, publicity, billboards and on merchandise offered in our Gift Store.
The Point Arena Lighthouse Keepers, Inc. (PALKI) is inviting all artists to design a logo for this milestone anniversary. Being a non-profit that is completely funded by tour admissions, Gift Store sales, lodging revenue, memberships and donations we are hoping that artists will be willing to do their designs pro bono. The winning design will garner the artist the following:
- Lifetime Lighthouse Membership
- Plaques in the Gift Store, Museum and Lighthouse Tower recognizing them as the creator of the logo
- Their choice of four pieces of outerwear bearing the logo
- Ten 150th Anniversary cloisonné pins
- Free admission to all Full Moon Night Tours in 2020
- Two tickets to any 150th Anniversary fundraising event
- Two nights in their choice of any of our six vacation cottages
- Article recognizing their creation of the winning logo in our Spring/Summer Light Station Journal
Artists are encouraged to bring their creativity to bear on this design. There are a few considerations to keep in mind:
- The design needs to be suited to creating cloisonné pins and stickers that bear the logo
- It should be scalable so that it can be used on many size items, in publicity and advertising i.e. used on roadside billboards, clothing, postcards, etc.
- The design will be printed on different types of outerwear (t-shirts, hoodies, sweatshirts, sweaters, dress and polo shirts, caps and hats, etc.)
- Once we have selected the winning design we will need it provided at minimum in both color and black & white as JPG and transparent PNG files. AI, EPS, PDF and TIF formats would also be appreciated but are not required
- PALKI will be granted full ownership rights to the design. Artist may use the design in their own marketing materials and can submit it to art competitions. If the artist wants to use the design in any other way they may request PALKI’s permission on a case by case basis
If you would like to enter this competition please use the Submission Form to submit your design. Designs must be received by Monday, February 3, 2020. Winning design will be selected by PALKI staff and Board members, and winner will be notified no later than Wednesday, February 12, 2020.